On a cold and snowy day, nothing is more comforting than a heaping plate of my homemade lasagna, followed by a fuzzy blanket, a glass of wine and a movie. And the best part is, there is enough left over for at least 1 or 2 more dinners or lunches.
Making lasagna takes a long time and can be intimidating, but anyone can do it – even you! Here are step by step instructions on how my recipe can warm you up on a cold day.
- 1 pound Italian sausage cut into small pieces
- ¾ pound extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6.5 ounce cans canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Cayane pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces light ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ pound shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cups grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Meat Sauce (1 ½ Hours Cooking Time)
1. In a large pot, brown sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water and mix well
3. Add sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, Chili powder, Cayene pepper, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley
4. Simmer covered for about 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally
Noodles (20 Minutes Cooking Time)
1. In a large pot, bring water and salt to a boil
2. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8 – 10 minutes
3. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water
Ricotta Cheese Mixture (5 Minutes Prep Time)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley and ½ teaspoon salt
2. Stir with a spoon until well mixed
Assembly (10 Minutes)
1. Spread 1 ½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9 X 11 or 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
2. Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce
3. Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles
4. Top with shredded mozzarella until covered
5. Spoon 1 ½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella
6. Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
7. Arrange 4 more noodles lengthwise
8. Spread remaining ricotta cheese mixture
9. Top with shredded mozzarella until covered
10. Spoon 1 ½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella
11. Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
12. Arrange last 4 noodles lengthwise
13. Spread remaining meat sauce over noodles
14. Spread remaining mozzarella until covered
15. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese until covered
Baking (50 Minutes)
1. Cover baking dish with foil. Make sure foil doesn’t touch cheese.
2. Bake covered for 25 minutes
3. Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes
4. Cool for 15 minutes and then serve!
What’s your winter comfort food?