I don’t know about you, but I’m always running a mile a minute. Stress is such a common aspect of my life, that I barely notice it anymore. And when I do, it’s more of a nuisance than the trigger for self-preservation that it should be. So I frequently ignore the warning signs and plow through life, determined not to let it get the better of me. But inevitably, it does… I hit a wall and quarantine myself for a few days to recuperate before repeating the cycle over again.
I was talking about this to a friend recently and through our conversation, it hit me… We cannot avoid stress; we cannot control or ignore it. But we can manage it effectively. The key is to pay special attention to our emotions or stress indicators, and treat them as a signal that something in our life is out of balance. Then determine what that is and address it in order to re-center.
Here are some stress management tips that may help you feel better and less stressed each and every day:
- Accept that you cannot control everything and just let go – Easier said than done, I know… But breathe through it, imagine setting it sail on a paper boat in the ocean – whatever you need to do in order to relieve the anxiety and just let it go.
- Maintain a positive attitude and outlook – It’s easy to get caught up in thoughts like “Nothing ever goes right”, “why does this always happen to me”, etc. Try to catch these thoughts in their tracks and reframe them with “I’m doing my best”, “How can I get some help” and just go into problem solving mode rooting yourself in the belief that a solution exists and you will find it.
- Take a breather – if you’re starting to feel the stress bubbling up, stop what you’re doing and go for a walk. Take deep breaths and force yourself to smile. You will feel the stress dissipating immediately.
- Set aside daily “Me Time” – I indulge in bubble baths just about daily. I find the warmth and candle light incredibly soothing and have come to view them as a reward for a job well done through the day. Find something you like doing and that gives you a sense of peace and relaxation and do it every day.
- Get enough sleep! – Sleep is the single most powerful way to manage stress. If you are well rested, you accomplish more, maintain a positive attitude and persevere through difficult situations much more effectively.
- Exercise regularly – Ok… I admit I’m bad at this one. I do better when I schedule workouts with friends or through organized sports. But since learning that about myself, I ensure I have a team sport at least once if not twice a week to make sure I get out there. And I always try unique exercise trends and try to make them into social affairs.
- Eat healthy – I know… It’s hard to make nutritious meals all the time. I have used that excuse a million times… But if it only takes me 1 hour on a Sunday to prepare my lunches for the week and stick them in the fridge. And sometimes, I make some stews and crock pot recipes that I can freeze in single serve portions throughout the week. It is possible…
- Get Social! – Nothing is more therapeutic during a stressful time, than spending time with loved ones that lift your spirits, can help you trouble shoot problems and just make you feel loved and supported amidst the craziness that life can be sometimes.
And if all else fails, pour yourself a glass of wine, snuggle up on the couch and escape reality for a while with a solid chick flick.
What are your stress management secrets?