I want to smother you on everything… You make me think late night binges are the best idea ever. You comfort me during “that time of the month” like nothing else can (not even Midol). I’ve eaten you by the spoonful despite adamant protests by my butt, thighs and stomach.
You are by far my longest relationship ever – my childhood sweetheart… And every attempt to break up with you has left me longing for more and inevitably reuniting with you over a piece of toast and a glass of milk.
But the time has come for us to both be better versions of ourselves… Leaner and healthier, but with all the personality ever.
Yep… Growing up in Europe has resulted in a bit of a Nutella addiction. Ok… A MAJOR Nutella addiction. I’ve tried to kick the habit, but it seems to be ingrained in my DNA. So… I decided to try deconstructing the recipe, replace some ingredients with healthier options and hopefully reduce the saturated fat, sugar and calorie content. Without sacrificing the flavour of course…
Tall order, right? Well… I tried and am quite happy with the result. It was not only really quick and easy, it’s also Gluten Free and Dairy Free. You’re welcome.
2 cups of raw whole hazelnuts
1 can of light organic coconut milk
½ cup of organic coconut sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
10 oz 100% chocolate (or if you don’t have a dairy intolerance, you can use 70% chocolate)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes. You know they are done when the shells look lightly toasted and fill your house with that yummy hazelnut fragrance.
- In a medium pot, heat coconut milk, coconut sugar and salt on medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved into the milk. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate and set aside.
- When hazelnuts have been toasted, lay them on a clean, damp towel and gently rub them to remove most of the skin.
- Place the hazelnuts in your blender or food processor (I use my Ninja) and process them until they are extremely fine.
- Add in melted chocolate and mix until you achieve a smooth texture.
- Add coconut milk and sugar mixture and mix again until all the ingredients are completely incorporated and smooth.
- Pour into a jar, let cool and spread all over everything in your fridge. Yum!